What does being FAT have to do with skill as a writer???
OK, I am going to talk about the text a bit and then explain my title…
Rivella
I really didn’t find this book very interesting.. maybe that it helped pave the way for woman writers.. but if this is what was given to me as an example of “women writing” I am not sure I would be a big fan of it either….Perhaps that is because I have read so many other things that were much more organized and the addition of quotation marks would have been nice… But it is comparable to other (male written) texts of the time in its ability to keep my interst...
I thought it was neat that she told the story through the eyes of a man, and as well that she was revealing private information about her contemporaries… It would have been neat to know the situations surrounding these events. The narrator also kind of bothered me though because he is supposedly in love with her, but then in the end he kind of oppresses her by trying to convince her that she has no place in politics? I guess this is just showing how hard it was for women in this time period, men were always trying to control them. This quotation really says it all, “what is not a crime in men is scandalous and unpardonable in woman” (47) How can someone put that in print???
Now, to the title. Is her body size really indicative of her ability to write??? He keeps talking about her “growing fat” as though it was the end of the world. As though she cannot be a good writer? This is ridiculous!
***personal section beginning
This part of the story really bothered me because I have been having some trouble in this area lately.
***I just deleted this story because I was just informed that more than just my class read this blog... so anyhow, Short version is this man I used to work for told me i was "just about too fat to live"
I am SO UPSET. Most of these things we have been reading about are “long ago tales” of female opression that we don’t have to deal with and have never really even thought of. Well unfortunately this is still a problem of today! I mean, it was one comment, from one guy, who I never really liked to begin with, but it just made me feel so objectified and worthless. And…. As most of you who have met me will know.. I don’t really have a problem with self-esteem, but reading this book really reminded me of how upset I was and it makes me sad that I am living proof that this is still happening today.
It also makes me sad to think that if I am getting feedback, that alot of other people must be getting it too...
People shouldn't be judged by their size, especially when the talent has nothing to do with the body. Like writing... what you look like shouldn't have anything to do with your merit as a writer. I understand the predicament if you wanted to be a gymnast or a figure skater... there might be some balance issues.. but you never know until you try...
Rivella
I really didn’t find this book very interesting.. maybe that it helped pave the way for woman writers.. but if this is what was given to me as an example of “women writing” I am not sure I would be a big fan of it either….Perhaps that is because I have read so many other things that were much more organized and the addition of quotation marks would have been nice… But it is comparable to other (male written) texts of the time in its ability to keep my interst...
I thought it was neat that she told the story through the eyes of a man, and as well that she was revealing private information about her contemporaries… It would have been neat to know the situations surrounding these events. The narrator also kind of bothered me though because he is supposedly in love with her, but then in the end he kind of oppresses her by trying to convince her that she has no place in politics? I guess this is just showing how hard it was for women in this time period, men were always trying to control them. This quotation really says it all, “what is not a crime in men is scandalous and unpardonable in woman” (47) How can someone put that in print???
Now, to the title. Is her body size really indicative of her ability to write??? He keeps talking about her “growing fat” as though it was the end of the world. As though she cannot be a good writer? This is ridiculous!
***personal section beginning
This part of the story really bothered me because I have been having some trouble in this area lately.
***I just deleted this story because I was just informed that more than just my class read this blog... so anyhow, Short version is this man I used to work for told me i was "just about too fat to live"
I am SO UPSET. Most of these things we have been reading about are “long ago tales” of female opression that we don’t have to deal with and have never really even thought of. Well unfortunately this is still a problem of today! I mean, it was one comment, from one guy, who I never really liked to begin with, but it just made me feel so objectified and worthless. And…. As most of you who have met me will know.. I don’t really have a problem with self-esteem, but reading this book really reminded me of how upset I was and it makes me sad that I am living proof that this is still happening today.
It also makes me sad to think that if I am getting feedback, that alot of other people must be getting it too...
People shouldn't be judged by their size, especially when the talent has nothing to do with the body. Like writing... what you look like shouldn't have anything to do with your merit as a writer. I understand the predicament if you wanted to be a gymnast or a figure skater... there might be some balance issues.. but you never know until you try...


1 Comments:
Gymnast, flight attendant, figure skater, jockey. That's all I can think of, off hand.
I have a great cartoon on my office door that says it all: a woman who looks like a teacher is talking to two other adults, a man and a woman with coats (parent/teacher night?) about a little girl (looks 6 years old or so) standing with them: "Tracy could be a good little poet someday if she'd loose some weight."
Post a Comment
<< Home