Female Orations
Hi Guys,
I found Margaret Cavendish pretty spastic in her decisions on how to act. To me all these changes should have taken years to discover. I could accept reading different opinions of someone at different times in their life, however it seems as though she wrote this all at once? How can someone think all these things at the same time? The discrepancies are rather radical, don't you think? Anyhow, I am certainly interested in tomorrow's discussion on this one...
Furthermore, this could be because it is past my bedtime, but "Nature's Cook" and "Of Many worlds in this world" didn't strike my fancy... I am looking forward to hearing about them tomorrow as well....
KAtherine Phillips is easy to read and I like her poems, "The Epitaph on Hector Phillips" was sad, but I always think it is sad when children die....
I kind of like her poems because she has all this passion that she really isn't supposed to have. And furthermore, she teachers young virtuous women how to act, so she knows the necessity for refinement. What I think is kind of neat though is that she still gets to experience this passion because it is directed towards a woman. I wonder what everyone has to say about that. She talks in her poems about acting so proper, and had these poems been about some "stud" in the neighbourhood, she would have been 'appalled' by herself! Anyhow, I just remark on that when I read it.
The Behn one looks a little long for this hour of the night... so I will read it in the morning... See you tomorrow everyone!
Abby
I found Margaret Cavendish pretty spastic in her decisions on how to act. To me all these changes should have taken years to discover. I could accept reading different opinions of someone at different times in their life, however it seems as though she wrote this all at once? How can someone think all these things at the same time? The discrepancies are rather radical, don't you think? Anyhow, I am certainly interested in tomorrow's discussion on this one...
Furthermore, this could be because it is past my bedtime, but "Nature's Cook" and "Of Many worlds in this world" didn't strike my fancy... I am looking forward to hearing about them tomorrow as well....
KAtherine Phillips is easy to read and I like her poems, "The Epitaph on Hector Phillips" was sad, but I always think it is sad when children die....
I kind of like her poems because she has all this passion that she really isn't supposed to have. And furthermore, she teachers young virtuous women how to act, so she knows the necessity for refinement. What I think is kind of neat though is that she still gets to experience this passion because it is directed towards a woman. I wonder what everyone has to say about that. She talks in her poems about acting so proper, and had these poems been about some "stud" in the neighbourhood, she would have been 'appalled' by herself! Anyhow, I just remark on that when I read it.
The Behn one looks a little long for this hour of the night... so I will read it in the morning... See you tomorrow everyone!
Abby


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home