Thursday, September 29, 2005

Queen Elizabeth I

I really liked the information this week about Queen Elizabeth I as well.

"On Monsieur's Departure" was a really interesting poem that made me think about what it would be like to lose someone and not be able to grieve about it. To me, I felt like because she was in a position of power and constant scrutinty, she was unable to have private time. She was never alone, and therefore she could never grieve the loss of this man. She had to pretend that she didn't care he was gone. It makes me sad that people in those positions don't have the luxury of privacy or the ability to feel things the way that others do. It is sad because they obviously have feelings like the rest of us, but they have to act like they don't. I don't think that is really fair.

I also got a real kick out of her responses to Parliament when they tried to force her to get married. I really liked how she stuck up for herself. She was right in refusing to marry someone she didn't love and waiting with the intentions of finding the right person. I admire Queen Elizabeth because she cared enough about herself and her own well-being to say no to the Parliament of the time which I am sure was a very seldom occurance.

I really liked reading her letters and laughed out loud on more than one occasion.

See you in class!

Abby

3 Comments:

Blogger Miriam Jones said...

Was she in fact waiting for love? We can talk about this in class ...

8:35 AM, September 29, 2005  
Blogger Lucy said...

Abby I liked the point you brought up about "the luxury of privacy."

I have often thought about what it must be like for royalty and celebrities to always be under a magnifying glass. Imagine always having to be in control of your emotions and presenting your self in a good light. This kind of pressure would be hard to live with.

4:23 PM, September 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't agree that she had to hold back feelings or had different feelings than most of us but she learned how to keep up appearances.

It's just like women now in business. They have to control a mans world so show little feelings or emotions but doesn't mean they don't feel it.

9:59 AM, September 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home