The Rover
Hi everyone!
I read this play in the summer when we first got the reading list, and I really found it to be a neat little read. I especially liked how firey these women are. I really like it when women (well people really) stick up for themselves. However, it is especially interesting in this case, because of the time period and social conventions. I did find it quite humourous as well and found myself laughing out loud on more than one occasion.
Knowing that Behn lived off the money she made as a writer, it is sometimes hard to imagine that she didn’t “sell-out” and write what she knew the people wanted to hear. Knowing that if her works did not sell… she would not be able to sustain herself financially… It is admirable that she stuck to her convictions and did what she wanted. I also like the fact that she “made up” her own history and made her private life what it should be, private. I think it is absolutely hilarious that she spread rumours about herself and her life so that no one could really tell what was true and what was not. She certainly was an anomaly for her time, and I have a lot of respect for that.
This play is considered a comedy, but it takes on some pretty serious issues, namely the role of women in a male-dominated society. She makes the vulnerability of women very clear throughout the play and I found the rape scenes to be particiularily unsettling.
I really liked how the female protagonists were so interesting and confident. Angelica stands up for herself after being betrayed, something that many women today still have trouble doing. Hellena knows what she wants and certainly goes after it. And I liked Lucetta simply because of her independence. All of these female characters are so stong and smart, characteristics not normally given to women in this time.
I did enjoy this play and respect Aphra Behn for taking such risks!
I read this play in the summer when we first got the reading list, and I really found it to be a neat little read. I especially liked how firey these women are. I really like it when women (well people really) stick up for themselves. However, it is especially interesting in this case, because of the time period and social conventions. I did find it quite humourous as well and found myself laughing out loud on more than one occasion.
Knowing that Behn lived off the money she made as a writer, it is sometimes hard to imagine that she didn’t “sell-out” and write what she knew the people wanted to hear. Knowing that if her works did not sell… she would not be able to sustain herself financially… It is admirable that she stuck to her convictions and did what she wanted. I also like the fact that she “made up” her own history and made her private life what it should be, private. I think it is absolutely hilarious that she spread rumours about herself and her life so that no one could really tell what was true and what was not. She certainly was an anomaly for her time, and I have a lot of respect for that.
This play is considered a comedy, but it takes on some pretty serious issues, namely the role of women in a male-dominated society. She makes the vulnerability of women very clear throughout the play and I found the rape scenes to be particiularily unsettling.
I really liked how the female protagonists were so interesting and confident. Angelica stands up for herself after being betrayed, something that many women today still have trouble doing. Hellena knows what she wants and certainly goes after it. And I liked Lucetta simply because of her independence. All of these female characters are so stong and smart, characteristics not normally given to women in this time.
I did enjoy this play and respect Aphra Behn for taking such risks!


3 Comments:
What you say about it being a comedy I agree with but it's exactly like any Shakespeare comedy. It has a dark side and takes on important issues. Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice had been like this, it was a comedy but through his character the Jew he brought in some comments about race, etc.
I certainly agree with you on this one. It was a really refreshing read and quite humorous. But at the same time, she dealt with some issues that were prevalent at the time and still are today, to some extent.
I think that this play is a marvellous example of giving the audience what they want, and addressing important themes at the same time. Under the table, even; no doubt many in the audience thought it was just great fun, and missed the critique of the sexual double standard.
Post a Comment
<< Home