Thursday, September 29, 2005

Anne Askew

Hi there,

I really enjoyed this week's readings, especially Anne Askew and Queen Elizabeth I.

I didn't know who Anne Askew was until I started reading about her the other day. But I am glad that I do now. I have alot of respect for someone who can stand up for what they believe in regardless of the consequences. I can't imagine being burned at the stake, and do not really know whether I would be able to do it. I think there are very few people who really could.

I liked how powerful and self-assured she was, especially in her recount of her Examination. I especially liked when she said, "I had rather read five lines in the Bible, than to hear five masses in the Temple." I liked that she had the audacity to say this to someone of authority.

As well, I liked that when he was trying to push her into a corner she stayed strong and "made no answer but smiled." I was impressed by her coyness and ability to stay in control when obviously being ambushed and unfairly questioned.

I think it was awful that she was tortured and burned at the stake because I think a woman like this should have been cherished and admired.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miriam Jones said...

There were many Protestant martyrs, willing or not. We can talk about just why Askew, and others like her, were so threatening.

8:38 AM, September 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home