Lanval
I really enjoyed reading the poem Lanval. I thought it was a really good and interesting story.
I was surprised, however, to see such vivid descriptions of the woman's body. As well, I was surprised to see such obvious sexual content. The medieval lyrics I have read thus far have all been very removed from any actual mention of sex or sexual features. The only descriptions have been from the colour of the maiden's hair and skin to comments on the size of her waist, so I found this poem quite surprising in that aspect.
As well, I found it upsetting that because the maidens in the story were prettier than the Queen, it made them "worth more/ Than the Queen was now, or ever before." I just found it ironic that something that takes people years to figure out presently was so obviously stated hundreds of years ago. It bothers me to realize that life has always been like this, and worth has been measured by beauty for so long. I understand that in medieval times the belief was that outer beauty was an indication of inner beauty, however, I still do not think that is justification.
This story reminds me of alot of other stories I have read and heard except for the way it ends. I liked the ending, the perfect maiden coming back to prove that Lanval's comments to the Queen were true. I found it funny that Lanval was allowed to insult the Queen as long as he was being honest.
I also liked The Wife's Lament, it reminded me of many present day situations as well. I like it when I read things from long ago and am able to identifty with what is happening. It makes me think that nothing really changes that much over time, just the setting and circumstances. I find that most of the issues and themes remain constant through time.
Anyhoo, those are my thoughts for tonight. See you all tomorrow!
Abby
I was surprised, however, to see such vivid descriptions of the woman's body. As well, I was surprised to see such obvious sexual content. The medieval lyrics I have read thus far have all been very removed from any actual mention of sex or sexual features. The only descriptions have been from the colour of the maiden's hair and skin to comments on the size of her waist, so I found this poem quite surprising in that aspect.
As well, I found it upsetting that because the maidens in the story were prettier than the Queen, it made them "worth more/ Than the Queen was now, or ever before." I just found it ironic that something that takes people years to figure out presently was so obviously stated hundreds of years ago. It bothers me to realize that life has always been like this, and worth has been measured by beauty for so long. I understand that in medieval times the belief was that outer beauty was an indication of inner beauty, however, I still do not think that is justification.
This story reminds me of alot of other stories I have read and heard except for the way it ends. I liked the ending, the perfect maiden coming back to prove that Lanval's comments to the Queen were true. I found it funny that Lanval was allowed to insult the Queen as long as he was being honest.
I also liked The Wife's Lament, it reminded me of many present day situations as well. I like it when I read things from long ago and am able to identifty with what is happening. It makes me think that nothing really changes that much over time, just the setting and circumstances. I find that most of the issues and themes remain constant through time.
Anyhoo, those are my thoughts for tonight. See you all tomorrow!
Abby


2 Comments:
It is true Lanval contains more sexual content than one would expect in medieval literature but we must remember that it is a translation and the terminology used in the original text was probably not as racy. For a medieval audience mentioning a woman showing her ankle would be very risque.
Just think how shocked they would be if they heard some of the lyrics to a rap song.
I totally agree with you, I was thinking the same things when I was reading "Lanval". This ill feeling came over me when was reading about the womens worth being tied to their appearance. You're right that the same still happens today. Look at Hollywood, worth there isn't based on talent but looks and what one is wearing.
The sexuality, it threw me as well but I think the blunt sexuality was just the translation. I think if you read the orginal text it would be very different from the contermpary translation. I could be very wrong but it's just what crossed my mind when I read it.
Post a Comment
<< Home